Thursday, December 10, 2015

Huge Update: VGC 2016 Ruleset Announced + Team Reports?


VGC 2016 Ruleset Announced!


Artist: Tomycase

If anyone hasn't been paying attention regarding a potential new ruleset... we now have the new VGC 2016 format announced a couple of days ago by via AlphaZealot and Scott Glaza. Well I'm not going to sugercoat the suspense but here are the rules as is (btw this is straight from the official Pokemon page):
  • All battles will be Double Battles played in Omega Ruby Alpha Sappire.
  • Timer limits for battles will vary by events. At major events, (Regional Championships and above), battles will have a 15-minute time limit, 45-second move timer, and a 90-second Team Preview.
  • Pokemon brought in via Poke Transporter will not be premitted (Blue Pentagon in effect).
  • Time limits for battles will vary by event. At major events (Regional Championships and above), battles will have a 15-minute time limit, 45-second move timer, and a 90-second Team Preview.
  • All discovered Pokémon will be allowed except the following Mythical Pokémon: Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Diancie, and Hoopa.
  • Teams may have no more than two of the following Pokémon: Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde (Forms from these Pokemon  are allowed).
  • All items will be allowed except Soul Dew. Each Pokémon must hold a different item.
  • (Again... word for word as found from the official site. Could have paraphrased it but figured having the ruleset exactly as is wouldn't cause too much confusion.)

Thoughts and Reaction

All I can say based on the new format is ...welp there goes CHALK. Alright so if those who don't understand whats going on, we are basically allowed two of the following cover legends or ubers are some players like to call them. For sure the fact legends like Xerneas, the Primals forms, Mega Mewtwo X/Y, and Mega Ray are going to make a huge splash in the format.  HOW big of a splash remains to be seen though I've already been trying out some VGC 2016 battles on showdown for testing. All I can say is Primal Groudon will be the meta...for now and not Mega Ray as some people are exaggerating though obviously its still a threat. So far I've been relatively high on the ladder especially since the rules just came out.  I'm already seeing weather control and board positioning will be volatile for anyone to do well in the format. I'll admit I've never played some like this... not even have experience in any Ubers format in Smogon Singles though this might spark some interest there. Most of my teams aren't maybe as standard but will likely be since I'm noticing people build their Pokemon bulky or block certain status moves that will likely rise in usage in this format. 
So far I like the format and its definitely gonna be an interesting year though we'll see some weather-based team evolve over the course of the next few months. 

Now my only complaint is there isn't going to be a official ladder online unless TPCi decides to host rounds of legendary competitions as in previous years. I recommend anyone who's entering this format to know the full extent of the primal weathers (including Mega Rayquaza's Delta Stream), and that they override each other the same way as regular weather (rain, sand, sun, hail), but also supersedes them. For sure I'll make any team reports from Showdown or any events I go for for anyone to view and critique in the future post.



Final VGC 2015/Battle Spot Doubles Team Report Update

Not gonna lie, every since the new ladder was updated on Showdown with the 2016 rules, it just killed my drive and possibly my motivation to work on any Battle Spot Doubles team in general. I know people will call me out for quitting battle spot doubles, but with a new format I just want to start teambuilding and working on new teams I've had an out on for a while now. At the same time, I've stopped playing Pokemon battles for about 3 weeks until around the end of Thanksgiving which then was an on and off hobby at best. If anything, I'll make two post, one with teams I've laddered for season 12 of Battle Spot from both my cartridges and the other some fun team I've been using for this season but kinda stopped with the announcement. Actually I was surprised that we'd get the rules this early on and maybe we'd get it by the end of the month or around next week. 

For now my goal is to have those two team reports down + a pokemon analysis for battle spot doubles done by the end o the next week ahead before the holidays kick in full gear. If  anything, I'll get this all sorted out before then so I encourage everyone reading this post to test out some teams for the VGC 2016 format. 

No comments:

Post a Comment