Monday, April 24, 2017

Gliding in the Rain! ( VGC 15 Team Report )


Gliding in the Rain! ( VGC 15 Team Report )

March 19th 2015


Hello guys! I have a brief RMT I have here since I haven't posted one in awhile now. Anyways most of you guys don't know but I was able to reach the top 20 in the US in Battle Spot Doubles and I wanted to try out a newer team... one whose playstyle I haven't tried out yet. While I was laddering in the low 1800s I faced a Japanese opponent two times with somewhat of an interesting Rain team and well I got rekted hard in those battles. kappa I was so shock and amazed by his/her team that I wanted to use it myself. Eventually after a bit of research I cam to realize about 5/6 of the team had the same Pokemon similar to Paul Chau's Philly team with only a couple of modifications. Again I tried to use his rain team as a reference point so that I can build one with my own liking. Well here's the team I have.

Update: I have change this team considerably and will detail some of these nitpicks as well as how I used this team.

The Team


Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
Level: 50
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe ----- New EV Spread: 60 HP / 244 Atk / 204
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide --Sucker Punch
- Protect

Speedy Mega Mawile. Honesty I haven't gave Mega Mawile a try since I incorporated it in another rain team featuring Raikou and Latios. Well the speed given to Mawile is enough to outpace most Pokemon from neutral base 70 speed tier and max speed under Mega Lucario under Tailwind.  At first, I considered Thunder Wave from Zapdos as my primary speed control to help Mega Mawile but this option only only slowed down one Pokemon at a time while I still have to worry about the other mons, especially Ground and Electric types. By incorporating Tailwind, Mega Mawile has the liberty to hopefully outspeed and hit either targets Pokemon (bar Choice Scarfer, Base 123+ (formerly base 113+), Weather-Speed Boost abilities, and priority attacks). Speedy Mega Mawile under Tailwind will often force my opponent to play conservatively and attempt switches to work around the Steel/Fairy Mega. Honestly this give me an advantage of chipping away at their team though I have to play carefully myself and try not to target into protects. I'm often surprised how people will have their Mega Kangaskhan or Terrakion stay in while Mega Mawile can eliminate these threats with its STAB Play Rough or Iron Head. Rock Slide is Mega Mawile's main coverage move for Pokemon like Charizard, Talonflame, Thundurus, Zapdos, etc. Under Tailwind, Mega Mawile can fire off fast Rock Slides, net potential flinches or even OHKOs. (After some testing between Rock Slide and Sucker Punch, I eventually went with the priority option instead for two reasons. 1) This team realizes heavily on a hyper offensive had no priority options in mind. 2) Sucker Punch was essentially the main priority in case my Tailwind were to run out and I might need to lock down certain attacker. Surprisingly if Charizard Y isn't running a ton of defensive investment then I can easily faint it with a Helping Hand Play Rough)

Update 1 (4/17/2015): After some thought, I decided to give Mega Mawile a considerable amount of speed investment (204 Speed EVs) at the cost of HP and Attack investment to outpace at least max speed Greninja and Mega Salamence. Some interesting facts I found out from playtesting after receiving an Icy Wind drop from my Politoed, non-Choice Scarf Adamant Landorus-T gets outspeed by Mega Mawile by one point! The maximum speed for Adamant Landorus-T is about 143 and after its speed dropped by Icy Wind (remember is a -1 stage drop of about two-thirds [*2/3] ) is about 95.3 (which gets rounded down to 95). This is extremely valuable information considering this is the absolute max Mega Mawile can outspeed a Pokemon after an Icy Wind drop.




Politoed @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Drizzle
Level: 50
EVs: 232 HP / 148 Def / 108 SpD / 20 Spe
Original Evs: 232 HP / 148 Def / 128 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Ice Beam-- Icy Wind
- Helping Hand
- Protect

Politoed's main purpose for the team is to exist... that's about it honestly. I have thought about giving Politoed a Sassy nature with a 0 iv stat in speed to win out weather wars but Sylveons (bar trick room variants) will outspeed the toad. The EV spread is essentially a rip from Paul's Politoed as it takes some of the strongest attacks in the format including Double Edge from Mega Kangaskhan with Sitrus Berry. Majority of the time, I'll elect  to use Politoed's rain boosted Scalds to net potential burns on its targets. Getting off one Scald burn on a physical attacker will give me huge leverage for the remainder of the match considering this team is hyper offensive by playstyle in a way.  Ice Beam a vital coverage attack for any Grass, Flying, and Dragon type Politoed matches up against. Helping Hand is probably the second valued support after Tailwind since the team lacks immediate fire power aside from Mega Mawile. It's high +7 priority bracket ensures that Politoed can get off a Helping Hand boost for  any of my Pokemon to net an OHKO even it Politoed faints during that turn. To put this into perspective, a Helping Hand boosted Play Rough from Mega Mawile will always beat uninvested Mega Kangaskhan, along with most bulky Thundurus or Zapdos in one hit. What's even more intriguing is a Helping Hand Sucker Punch from Mega Mawile can take out nearly all standard 252 HP Aegislash, in shield form! (One of the reasons why I might opt for Sucker Punch). Essentially Politoed's role for the team is to setup rain when it's needed most and provide vital support as long as possible.

Update 1: While using this team in battle spot I came across a huge issue with both Mawile and Politoeds initial speed values. It came to my attention that Mawile would get off an Intimidate first while Politoed might get its rain (Drizzle) last. As it turns out, Mawile was able to outspeed my Politoed by one point and I decided to give Politoed a small investment just to outspeed Raikou under Tailwind (minor nitpick). In addition, Politoed now has the Wacan Berry to take any Electric attacks though I might switch items from time to time.

Update 2 (4/17/2015): Mega Mawile now outspeeds Politoed again with the new EV spread so I have to be very careful to allow play these two together as leads. After some thought, Ice Beam was dropped for Icy Wind for three reasons. 1) I dropped Tailwind Haban Berry Hydreigon awhile back already for a Choice Specs set so I need another Pokemon with speed control. Politoed's Ice Beam seemed the most "useless" IMO considering since Ice Beam will only leave a small dent on Dragon, Ground, or Grass types. 2) This goes hand to hand with my second reasoning which is to give Hydreigon and Mega Mawile enough speed control for them to wreak havoc against my opponent's team in case Zapdos cannot setup Tailwind at some point. 3) Best part is Icy Wind will target and drop the speed any opposing Pokemon, especially against Landorus-T and Mega Salamence.


Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
Ability: Swift Swim
Level: 50
Original EVs Spread: 84 HP / 20 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 148 Spe
New EVs Spread: EVs: 84 HP / 20 Def / 228 SpA / 4 SpD / 172 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain
- Hydro Pump / Fake Out

Another cheesy yet necessary component to the team. This Ludicolo's has enough speed to outrun max speed Adamant Landorus-T (216) (now STUPID Mega Aerodactly) and OHKO with Ice Beam. Ludicolo functioned as the main rain sweeper and my primary option against Grass and Water type Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Suicune, Jellicent, Politoed, Greninja, Amoonguss, etc. One of the main advantages of using Ludicolo since its a Grass type Pokemon it can bypass powder moves (aka Rage Powder) and can go after the opposing Pokemon with one its coverage attacks. Originally I have thought about going with Fake Out but then Hydro Pump, coupled with Helping Hand can net OHKOs against uninvested Megas like Kangaskhan, Mawile, Gardevoir, Metagross, and others. I find Ludicolo's Hydro Pump and Scald damage output to be very disgusting as it will even put a dent to resisted targets as well. Lastly Ludicolo's Assault Vest ensures it won't be killed off by powerful special attacks and thus effectively giving me a pseudo special tank. Other than that, this is what standard max special attack AV Ludicolo which is there to take special hits and hit hard in the rain.

Update 1 (4/17/2015): I decided to throw away Hydro Pump for Fake Out after all considering what GMX told me since it will give my team an opportunity to setup Tailwind from Zapdos or just get the first turn flinch. Its always nice to disrupt the opponents main strategy with Fake Out as it can give myself breathing room. If you haven't notice by now, I actually changed the EV spread because literally I face 3 Mega Aerodactyl teams in a row and this team just had a bad time...




Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Level: 50
EVs:  4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def <----For HP Ice in case I opt for it.
- Flash Cannon
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Will-O-Wisp / Stone Edge / Hidden Power Ice

The odd guy out of this team IMO. Remember when I said I got rekted by a Japanese Rain team, it was because they brought a Choice Scarf Heatran (btw I didn't know it was scarfed until it outspeed my Kangaskhan in the second battle I had against him/her). Back to the RTM, though Talonflame could easily replace this spot, I wanted to try out Choice Scarf Heatran in doubles for  some time now.  The main purpose of Heatran is to kill fast targets like un-invested Terrakion (whom faints after one Flash Cannon while avoiding Quick Guard shenanigans) and picks off the rest of the opponent's team. Though this Heatran is something you guys would probably see in the singles format as a "trump card" , it plays a crucial role in the team's synergy. With the Choice Scarf, Heatran is capable of outrunning max speed Raikou, Mega Salamence, Greninja (and essentially every other scarfer after Tailwind). Flash Cannon was the main go-to STAB the majority of the time considering Heatran is under rain and hits Fairies relatively hard. Fire Blast is my "go big or go home" attack to hit Amoonguss, Mega Metagross, opposing Mega Mawile hard while bypassing Wide Guard users like Aegislash. Earth Power is for obvious coverage against opposing Heatrans, Electric, and Steel types in the rain. Now the last options are experimental at best. Will-O-Wisp is a tech move which most of my opponents won't expect as it burns any unsuspecting physical attackers and probably the favorite of the three.  I might want to fall back to Hidden Power Ice or even Stone Edge but I think this team has enough ways to deal with most Dragons and Fire Pokemon. (Eventually Hidden Power Ice won out from the three because outspeed and potential hitting Mega Salamence, Garchomp, and Landorus-T for a knock out is too much to pass. Besides given the hyper offensive nature of the team, I couldn't afford to miss either Will-O-Wisp or Stone Miss Kappa in a high stacks moments of the battle.)


Zapdos @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Pressure
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 64 SpA / 44 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Tailwind

Tailwind user #1. This ev spread allows Zapdos to take a Double Edge from Adamant max attack Mega Kangaskhan and even Stone Edge from a neutral Terrakion while outpacing Adamant Bisharp/Breloom by one point. Zapdos's main role for the team is to provide Tailwind support and check bulky Water and Flying types like Talonflame, Rotom-W, or Suicune. The only notable change from most Zapdos sets is the Safety Goggles instead of the standard Sitrus Berry. Of course Zapdos loses an additional 25% of potential health, I felt Amoonguss and Breloom will still be a huge nuisance to the team, especially for Ludicolo.  Amoonguss could run Sludge Bomb while Breloom might get lucky with its Bullet Seed attacks and knock out my main rain sweeper. Zapdos easily gives me a safe switch in while avoiding Spores or Rage Powders. There have been so many "clutch" moments where my Zapdos is able to bypass Rage Powder users and hit off a Thunderbolt or Hidden Power Ice. Roost is there for Zapdos to recover off damage after setting up a Tailwind though my opponents could easily predict this and double target. So far I'm satisfied with Zapdos's overall performance in battle as it sets up Tailwind for it and most importantly Mega Mawile.

Update 1 (4/17/2015): Wanted to try out Weakness Policy Zapdos like GMX mentioned and have received mixed results as a result. On the one hand, if Zapdos gets hit with -1 Rock Slide or Ice move while Tailwind is up it can put a ton of offensive pressure on the opposing team. Then I realize with WP Zapdos became an attractive double target so I can't risk losing on of my main Pokemon immediately. Might want to tune out Zapdos EV spread in the near future.

Update 1 (4/17/2015) New Hydreigon Set since old wasn't cutting it anymore.


Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Level: 50
EVs: 28 HP / 36 Def / 236 SpA / 4 SpD / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower -- Surf
- Head Smash / Earth Power

What use to be my backup Tailwind user is now my 3rd special attacker in Hydreigon and boy I think this was a better call in the end.  Mega Mawile is my physical battering ram while Hydreigon is the main special attacker. Literally just do the damage calulcations and you'll see why this thing is a absolute beast. Enough glamouring about this three-headed Dragon. Now I wanted to preserve the Choice Scarf on my Heatran, it can down to choosing between Life Orb or Choice Specs and I went with Specs for one main reason I'll list down later. Specs Dark Pulse is my 1st attacking option in case there are bulkier threats like Cresselia, Suicune, bulky Thundurus/Zapdos, Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss etc considering they will cause the most issues to the team. Draco Meteor with Choice Specs is the strongest option I have to offer considering it has a 81% chance of knocking out univested Mega Kangaskhans. Apply Politoed's Helping Hand with Draco Meteor or Dark Pulse and Hydreigon is just going to severally dent anything it its path.  Surf is opted instead of Earth Power or even a Fire move is because I want to take full advantage of rain to its fullest while its up. Honestly most of the time I am using Draco Meteor or Dark Pulse as my main option and wish if only there was a spread attack I can use to damage Terrakion, Landorus-T, Heatran, Talonflame, Scizor, Gengar, Bisharp and even Fairy (Sylveon and Gardevoir) all at the same time. Choice Specs rain boosted Surf can punish switch ins into any aforementioned Pokemon while I can leave a mark on either target. For instance, if Terrakion wants to switch in on an expected Dark Pulse, Hydreigon can literally ohko it in rain or critically damage it to the point where a Sucker Punch from Mawile can take it out. I'll leave some damage calculations on what Hydreigon's rain boosted Surf can do. The last moveslot could have been Tailwind to trick my opponents this was a support Hydreigon but chose Head Smash instead (notice I didn't have any 0 Iv value here). Normally I don't try to change the nature for my mixed Pokemon but I realize that even without attack investment Head Smash can just one shot a Charizard Y! Again this is reserved as a last resort to beat Charizard Y completely but you all are welcome to change this slot for Earth Power if this doesn't appeal to you.

SURF CALCS:
[SPOILER]

236+ SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Surf vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Heatran in Rain: 174-206 (100.5 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO
236+ SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Surf vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mawile (Switch in) in Rain: 145-171 (92.3 - 108.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
236+ SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Surf vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion in Rain: 200-236 (120.4 - 142.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
236+ SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Surf vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T in Rain: 220-260 (112.2 - 132.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO ---Seriously I added 252 HP
236+ SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Surf vs. 212 HP / 96 SpD Thundurus in Rain: 97-115 (53.5 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236+ SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Surf vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan in Rain: 92-109 (50.8 - 60.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236+ SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Surf vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame in Rain: 246-290 (160.7 - 189.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
236+ SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Surf vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp in Rain: 122-144 (86.5 - 102.1%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO--- If Bisharp has Life Orb, well...
236+ SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Surf vs. 248 HP / 116+ SpD Arcanine in Rain: 174-206 (88.7 - 105.1%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO... Any weaker variant dies
236+ SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Surf vs. 8 HP / 0 SpD Gengar in Rain: 115-136 (84.5 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
236+ SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Surf vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Scizor in Rain: 110-130 (62.5 - 73.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236+ SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Surf vs. 32 HP / 0 SpD Raikou in Rain: 92-109 (54.4 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236+ SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Surf vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus-T in Rain: 110-130 (71.4 - 84.4%)
236+ SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Surf vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 82-98 (46.8 - 56%) -- 76.2% chance to 2HKO
236+ SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Surf vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 70-84 (40 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Finally...
236+ SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Surf vs. 116 HP / 0 SpD Sylveon in Rain: 73-87 (39.4 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO Pretty good damage if you ask me...
236+ SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Helping Hand Surf vs. 116 HP / 0 SpD Sylveon in Rain: 110-130 (59.4 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO... Sylveon Counters pls....

236+ SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Surf vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gardevoir in Rain: 81-96 (56.6 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236+ SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Surf vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gardevoir in Rain: 71-84 (49.6 - 58.7%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO... another Fairy gone[/SPOILER]


Former Members and Teammates


Hydreigon @ Haban Berry
Ability: Levitate
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 60 SpA / 124 SpD / 36 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Tailwind
- Taunt

Tailwind User #2. Well I keep deviating from Choice Specs Hydreigon to this set and so far I like this support build more. This isn't my set/idea but from Lightcore from the Nugget Bridge forums with some minor modifications. First off, this Hydreigon has enough bulk to take the majority of the strongest Dragon type in the format except from Modest Choice Specs Latios (which has a 25% chance to OHKO). Rarely I go for Draco Meteor unless there's an opposing Hydreigon on the field or most of the other Pokemon have been severally weakened. Tailwind gives Hydreigon enough speed to outrun base 100 positive scarfers. Taunt is a tech move to stop Pokemon like Amoonguss, Thundurus-I, Cresselia, Jellicent, Suicune or any support Pokemon for that matter from ruining my day. The lack of special attack can still be mitigated with the help of Politoed's Helping Hand boost which can still be devastating to my opponent.


Well I want to see if any of you guys can give me suggestions/changes about the team itself. Any constructive criticism is appreciated as long as it helps improve this team. I'll link the team magma description of the team as well

http://www.teammagma.net/teambuilder/#?303m|186|272|485|145|635

No comments:

Post a Comment